Jesus appeared to more than 500 people after his resurrection
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ was the beginning of Christianity. If Jesus had not been resurrected, it would be very difficult, and perhaps impossible, to explain how the Christian religion would ever have made it past the first century.
Because of his resurrection, there are, by some counts, as many as 2 billion Christians in the world today. And evangelists continue to teach others about Jesus, telling them about the promise of eternal life in Heaven for all who believe in Jesus.
Because Christianity is so strongly based on the resurrection of Jesus, I think it is important to list the resurrection appearances. Here is my attempt to list many of the appearances as recorded in the Bible:
1. Jesus first appears to Mary Magdalene, shortly after his resurrection. See Mark 16:9; John 20:11-18.
2. Jesus appears to the women returning from the empty tomb. See Matthew 28:8-10.
3. Jesus appears to two disciples on the road to Emmaus. See Mark 16:12,13; Luke 24:13-35.
4. He appears to Peter. See Luke 24:34, 1 Corinthians 15:5.
5. He appears to his disciples, in Jerusalem, while Thomas is absent. See Mark 16:14-18; Luke 24:36-49; John 20:19-23.
6. Jesus again appears to his disciples, in Jerusalem. This time Thomas is present. See John 20:24-29.
7. Jesus appears to his disciples on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. See Matthew 28:16; John 21:1,2.
8. Jesus is seen by 500 believers at one time. See 1 Corinthians 15:6.
9. He appears to James. See 1 Corinthians 15:7.
10. He appears to his disciples on a mountain in Galilee. See Matthew 28:16-20.
11. He appears to his disciples, blesses them, and ascends into heaven. See Luke 24:50-53.
12. He also appears to Paul, on the road to Damascus. Acts 9:3-6; 1 Corinthians 15:8.
By George Konig
Sept. 14, 2003
See a list of all of our commentaries