Health Facts that Came from the Bible
Many facts on good health that were only discovered by medical science in recent times were recorded in the Bible a few thousand years ago.
The following health facts are taken from the book 101 Scientific Facts and Foreknowledge, by Eternal Productions:
1. Blood is the source of life and health. (Leviticus 17:11;14). Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled" and many died as a result (e.g. George Washington). Today we know that healthy blood is necessary to bring life-giving nutrients to every cell in the body. God declared that "the life of the flesh is in the blood" long before science understood its function.
2. Sexual promiscuity is dangerous to your health (1 Corinthians 6:18; Romans 1:27). The Bible warns that "he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body," and that those who commit homosexual sin would "receive in themselves" the penalty of their error. Much data now confirms that any sexual relationship outside of holy matrimony is unsafe.
3. God has given us the leaves of the trees as medicine (Ezekiel 47:12; Revelation 22:2). Ancient cultures utilized many herbal remedies. Today, modern medicine has rediscovered what the Bible has said all along - there are healing compounds found in plants.
4. Healthy dietary laws (Leviticus 11:9-12). Scripture states that we should avoid those sea creatures which do not have fins or scales. We know now that bottom-feeders (those with no scales or fins) tend to consume waste and are likely to carry disease.
5. The Bible warns against eating birds of prey (Leviticus 11:13-19). Scientists now recognize that those birds which eat carrion (putrefying flesh), often spread disease.
6. Avoid swine (Deuteronomy 14:8) "and the pig...and is therefore unclean for you. Their flesh you shall not eat..." Not long ago, science learned that eating undercooked pork causes an infection of parasites called trichinosis. Now consider this: the Bible forbade eating of swine among the Israelites more than 3,000 years before we learned how to cook pork safely.
7. Circumcision on the eighth day is ideal (Genesis 17:12) "Throughout the ages, every male among you, when he is eight days old, shall be circumcised..." (Also Leviticus 12:3; Luke 1:59). Medical science has discovered that the blood clotting chemical prothrombin peaks in a newborn on the eighth day. This is therefore the safest day to circumcise a baby. How did Moses know?
8. Medical quarantine instituted (Leviticus 13:45-46) "As long as the sore is on him he shall declare himself unclean, since he is in fact unclean. He shall dwell apart, making his abode outside the camp." (Also Numbers 5:1-4). Long before man understood the principles of quarantine, God commanded the Israelites to isolate those with a contagious disease until cured.
9. Laughter promotes physical healing (Proverbs 17:22) "A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones." Recent studies confirm what King Solomon was inspired to write 3,000 years ago. For instance, laughter reduces levels of certain stress hormones. This brings balance to the immune system, which helps your body fight off disease.
10. The Bible cautions against consuming fat (Leviticus 7:23) "Tell the Israelites; you shall not eat the fat of any ox or sheep or goat." Only in recent decades has the medical community determined that fat clogs arteries and contributes to heart disease.
See a list of all of our commentaries